Charming rooms in exceptionally quiet, vegetarian environment, perfect for graduate students, visiting scholars, and serious students, $1,300 – $1,500/month
Located a block away from UC Berkeley at the foothills of Highland and Hearst, we offer a quiet and reserved environment ideal for focused work, reflection, and introspection. Rooms offer beautiful views of the bay and Golden Gate Bridge, or our peaceful meditation garden.
Furnished private and shared rooms are available for individuals, with shared kitchen, bathrooms, and showers. Wifi and all utilities are included.
Established in 1972, the Nyingma Institute is a respected Tibetan Buddhist learning center which offers classes and retreats to the general public, in addition to housing staff and dedicated community members. You need not be Buddhist, but should be respectful of our spiritual focus and the quietude that is sought by our retreatants and students.
Please note that we are a vegetarian, substance-free environment. While you are free to partake off premises, we require that no meat or alcohol be consumed or stored here.
We are located 1 block away from the north side of campus. We do have a private parking lot, if you are interested in a spot one may be available for an additional $100/month.
Rooms are available for $1,300 – $1,500 month. Please see below for details and pricing for specific rooms.
- Zero tolerance for smoking, drugs, alcohol, and inebriation on the premises
- Overnight guests are permitted in accordance with our guest policy, please see FAQ for details
- No pets
- No loud music or instruments
- We ask that you remove your shoes upon entering, house slippers are fine
- Modest dress and conduct in shared areas is appreciated
- Strictly vegetarian environment (but not vegan)
- Wifi and utilities included
- Rooms are furnished, see below for details
- Beautiful bay view or garden view from windows
- Shared kitchen, bathrooms, and showers
- No space heaters or AC, though there is centralized heating
- Laundry is coin-operated
- 1 block from UCB campus
- 25-minute walk to Downtown Berkeley BART station
- Please note that we are located on a steep hill, with several flights of stairs on the property
- Meditation and Tibetan Yoga (Kum Nye) classes and retreats are taught on the premises
- Lease term: 6 months minimum
- We ask for first month’s rent and security deposit (equal to one month’s rent)
- Credit and background checks required
- Parking may be available for an extra fee of $100/month
To view a room, please contact us to make an appointment: (510) 809-1000 or email@example.com
Rooms (Please inquire as to availability):
Room 3 – This spacious single room includes a peaceful view of the garden. It comes furnished with one twin-sized bed (the other beds will be removed), 2 tables, nightstands, table lamps, and 2 built in closets. It is located on the second floor. $1,300/month
Room 5 – This spacious single room has a peaceful garden-side view. It comes furnished with one twin-sized bed (the other bed will be removed), 2 tables, a large mirror, 2 nightstands, table lamps, and 2 built in closets. It is located on the second floor. $1,300/month
Bathroom & showers:
Women’s facilities are on the second floor, men’s are on the third floor.
Please note that access to the kitchen is limited, other than the microwave and a small space in the refrigerator.
Dining Room and Patio:
During mealtimes, we eat silently in the dining room at the three tables (on the far side of this photo).
If you’d like to talk, you can sit outside on the patio.
Back entrance and shoeroom:
Machines are coin-operated.
Thanks for looking! Let us know if you have any questions.
The Nyingma Institute does not discriminate on the basis of their race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, familial status, physical or mental disability, or because of their personal characteristics or traits.